skyscapeR is a open source R package for data reduction, visualization and analysis in skyscape archaeology, archaeoastronomy and cultural astronomy. It is intended to become a fully-fledged, transparent and peer-reviewed package offering a robust set of quantitative methods while retaining simplicity of use.
Currently it includes functions to:
- transform horizontal (Az/Alt) to equatorial (Dec/RA) coordinates;
- automatically convert theodolite or compass field measurements;
- create or download horizon profiles and plot them;
- overlay horizon profiles with visible paths of common celestial objects/events;
- easily construct azimuth polar plots;
- easily construct declination curvigrams;
- run null hypothesis significance test on declination curvigrams;
- estimate dates of stellar phases/events and their seasonality.
Future versions will add further functionality, as well as an easy-to-use Graphical User Interface.